Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse continues to make big strides in sustainability. Opportunities to make a difference are everywhere, and we are always looking for new ways to make both big and small changes that will have a positive impact on the environment and our community.
- Trash Talk: Since January 2014, in partnership with Republic Services, Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse has been recycling plastics up to resin number 7, or essentially all plastic materials that have any recyclable value. We do this through a “single-stream” process, where all paper, plastic, metal, glass and other materials are collected in a single unit, instead of being sorted by a depositor into separate commodities and handled separately throughout the collection process.
By including more materials to be recycled and streamlining the process, Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse has significantly decreased the amount of waste going to the landfill by an average of 71% each month.
- The Clean Plate Club: Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse and its food and beverage partner, Aramark work closely with recycling facility Organix Recycling to take nearly all of Aramark’s food waste and recycle it into nutrient-filled mulch and compost. With 63 tons of food waste in 2016, the compost produced is used by cities and municipalities, universities, professional landscapers, golf courses and park systems to grow plants.
- Cavs and PwC Team Up to Green Up! The Cleveland Cavaliers and PricewaterhouseCoopers US (PwC) are helping to provide green space for generations to come with the "Trees for Threes” program by pledging to plant one tree for every three-pointer the Cavs make during regular season home games. For the 2017-18 season, it added up to 461 total trees white oak trees planted in Northeast Ohio in 2018.
Other Notable Strides In Sustainability
- Collected more than 237 tons of recyclable waste in 2015- 2016, which included 3,259 pounds of recycled electronics, 511 pounds of batteries and 2,918 pounds of fluorescent lamps.
- Recycled 2.96 tons of office paper saving the equivalent of 50.32 trees and 20,720 gallons of water.
- Decreased the amount of water dispensed by one gallon per cycle by replacing all public restroom sinks with more water efficient spouts.
- Continuously transitioning to more energy-efficient T5, T8 and LED bulbs throughout the arena.
- Usage of environmentally friendly microfiber towels by the Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse Clean Team instead of paper towels and cotton cloths.
- The use of the Orbio, a system that produces ionized water to be used as a cleaner and that once utilized, reverts back to regular water. This eco-friendly equipment cleans glass, stainless steel, carpets and hard surfaces at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, minimizing the need for conventional chemicals.